Police identify victims of triple homicide near Oneida Nation

Bodkin Road was closed to traffic in the area where three bodies were found in Middlesex Centre, Ont. (CTV London)

Three members of Six Nations found dead

The discovery of three bodies just outside the Oneida of the Thames First Nation has turned into a triple homicide investigation.

The two men and one woman found dead on Sunday in Middlesex Centre, near Bodkin Road and Jones Drive, were from Six Nations of the Grand River, a First Nations community near Brantford Ont.

Police were called to the area at 10 a.m. Sunday after reports of a grey truck in a field.

The OPP would not say whether the bodies were found inside the truck, or outside.

Police confirmed the identities of the deceased as 37-year-old Melissa Trudy Miller, 33-year-old Alan Grant Porter and 32-year-old Michael Shane Jamieson.

On Wednesday, multiple OPP K-9 searches were done in the area where the truck and bodies were found.

While police revealed the names and ages of the victims, nothing was said about the cause of the deaths and few other details are known.

However police have zeroed in on the grey 2006 Chevrolet Silverado pickup and are asking members of the public who may have seen the truck in the area of Bodkin Road prior to 10 a.m. on Nov 4th to contact them.

Police have released a generic photo of a grey 2006 Chevrolet Silverado, similar to the one OPP say was located with the bodies.

According to Global News, though the grisly discovery wasn’t made on Oneida Nation land, its Chief, Jessica Hill, has been in contact with Six Nations.

“We’re sending our condolences to the community of Six Nations, to the families there” she said.

“We’re hoping the individuals responsible will be brought to justice.”

The OPP has set up a hotline for tips related to the homicide investigation.

Anyone with information is asked to call a new police tipline at 1-844-677-5050, the Six Nations Police Service at 1519-445-2811 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Police have confirmed that the homicides are not being investigated in connection with any other cases.

Similar incident in 2017

The remains of 48-year-old Douglas Hill were found on Oneida land, in Aug 2017. He was last seen in Six Nations on June 24th. Hill’s death was considered a homicide.

The cause of his death has not been made public. Four people were charged in connection with the case including a 17-year-old girl. The charges were all dismissed last month.

No information is available as to why the prosecution ended.

By Black Power, RPM Staff

Advertisements

OPP Confirm Body Found In Kenora Is Missing Teen Delaine Copenace

The remains of Delaine Copenace, 16, were found by City of Kenora employees shortly after ‎8 a.m. Tuesday at the end of Water Street, Ontario Provincial Police say. (Facebook)

The remains of Delaine Copenace, 16, were found by City of Kenora employees shortly after ‎8 a.m. Tuesday at the end of Water Street, Ontario Provincial Police say. (Facebook)

By Red Power Media, Staff

Body of Delaine Copenace found, OPP confirm

A body found Tuesday morning has been identified as 16-year-old Delaine Copenace, missing since late February.

City of Kenora employees, discovered human remains shortly after 8 a.m. in the Lake of the Woods area at the end of Water Street.

Kenora Daily Miner and News reports, Police restricted access to the waterfront area while the OPP North West Region Crime Unit and the OPP Forensic Identification Services Unit investigated the scene.

Onlookers gather on Water Street as Kenora detachment OPP investigate a report of human remains located in Lake of the Woods, Tuesday morning, March 22. REG CLAYTON/Miner and News

Onlookers gather on Water Street as Kenora detachment OPP investigate a report of human remains located in Lake of the Woods, Tuesday morning, March 22. REG CLAYTON/Miner and News

The Ontario Provincial Police confirmed the body was Copenace.

Tbnewswatch reports, the identity of the body was released to the media in the early afternoon.

Police in Ontario have released little information and the cause of death has not been disclosed.

Copenace’s body is being sent to Toronto where the Office of the Chief Coroner and Forensic Pathology Services will conduct an examination.

The investigation, which is being conducted by the OPP’s criminal investigations branch and forensic identification services unit, is ongoing.

OPP Release Report On Missing And Murdered Indigenous People

The Ontario Provincial Police released a report on cases of missing and unsolved murders of indigenous people over the last 58 years, on Dec. 16, 2015.

The Ontario Provincial Police released a report on cases of missing and unsolved murders of indigenous people over the last 58 years, on Dec. 16, 2015.

By Red Power Media, Staff

In Ontario Indigenous men are 2 times more likely to be murdered than Indigenous women.

The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) has released a report on cases of missing and unsolved murders of indigenous people, in the hopes that it will lead to new tips or information to further the investigations.

Members of the OPP and First Nations leaders released the report Wednesday morning during a news conference. The report covers the period spanning from 1956 to 2014.

The report comes as the federal government is preparing to launch an inquiry next year into missing and murdered indigenous women in the country. The RCMP has estimated more than 1,200 indigenous women have gone missing or been killed in Canada between 1980 and 2014.

The report found that from 1956 to the end of 2014:

Female indigenous homicides/ missing persons

  • There were 54 homicides involving indigenous females. Eight of them remain unsolved and 46 were solved.
  • Of the 46 solved cases: Nine of the victims were murdered by a family member; 17 were murdered by a domestic partner or spouse; 19 were murdered by a person known to the victim; and one was of “unknown circumstances.”
  • The solved or “clearance” rate for homicides involving an indigenous woman was 85.2 per cent.
  • There were eight missing indigenous females reported to the OPP, and all remain missing.
  • Foul play is possible or suspected in one of these cases.

The report found that from 1978 to the end of 2014:

Male indigenous homicides/missing persons

  • There were 126 homicides involving indigenous males. Only one of these cases remains unsolved and 125 of them were solved.
  • Of the 125 solved cases: 35 were murdered by family members; 10 were murdered by a domestic partner or spouse; 70 were murdered by a person known to the victim; nine were of “unknown circumstances”; and information for one of the cases is not available.
  • The solved or “clearance” rate for homicides involving an indigenous man was 99.2 per cent.
  • There were 39 cases that involve a missing indigenous man.
  • The OPP believe foul play is possible or suspected for 22 of these cases, and 17 of these individuals are considered missing persons.

The OPP’s overall homicide solved or “clearance rate” from 2010 to 2014 was 92.3 per cent, the report said. The OPP defines a homicide investigation to be solved, when charges are laid, regardless if the charges result in a conviction, officers said at the news conference.

“There may be additional persons who are missing or murdered that should be included but their family and/or loved one have not identified them to the OPP as indigenous,” the report noted.

“We recognize that there are many unanswered questions and that we cannot reverse the outcomes for the families and loved ones of those [who] have gone missing or were murdered,” said OPP Commissioner Vince Hawkes in a release, adding he hopes the information “generates further discussion, potential leads, and resolution for the families and communities who have suffered loss.”

Chief Isadore Day, Ontario regional chief of the Assembly of First Nations, said the OPP report on missing and murdered First Nations is a “good starting point” in working towards the process of reconciliation.

Det.-Supt. Dave Truax said the OPP does not believe that any of the homicides are “serial” in nature, meaning they’re likely not the result of a serial killer.

​The OPP began reviewing all cases involving indigenous victims starting in 2011.

The report, which can be downloaded here, includes a compilation of case file information, except in a few cases where families didn’t consent to their release.

OPP To Issue Report On Missing And Murdered Aboriginal Men, Women

A final report by the OPP looking into cases of missing and murdered aboriginal men and women has now been drafted and the force is consulting with stakeholders. (J.P. MOCZULSKI For The Globe and Mail)

The Globe and Mail

Ontario’s provincial police force is finalizing a report on the unsolved murders and disappearances of aboriginal women – and men – that have occurred within its jurisdiction, raising the hopes of First Nations that some investigations will be reopened.

The RCMP have acknowledged more than 1,200 cases in Canada of murdered and missing aboriginal women between 1980 and 2014. Now other forces, including the Ontario Provincial Police, are assessing the scope of the problem in their own regions.

The trails of many of the perpetrators have gone cold and, in many instances, the killers are no longer being actively sought. But increased determination on the part of police agencies across the country to solve crimes against Canada’s indigenous women and girls, along with improved investigative techniques, raises the possibility that some grieving families may finally get the answers they have been seeking.

Supt. Mark Pritchard, the commander of the OPP’s aboriginal policing bureau, said the work of compiling a list of the cases and the details surrounding them began three years ago and arose out of concerns expressed by the Native Women’s Association of Canada and the Sisters in Spirit movement.

While those groups focused on the number of aboriginal woman being slain, Supt. Pritchard said the OPP decided to also look at the cases of missing and murdered aboriginal men. A final report has now been drafted and the force is consulting with stakeholders.

“The report names specific people and locations and dates,” Supt. Pritchard said. “For every one of those, we want to touch base with the families and let them know that it’s happening and also let them see it.”

Once the report is made public, he said, “there is always a value in fresh eyes looking at old cases and technology changes, new approaches, new investigative techniques … .”

Ray Michalko, a former RCMP officer who is a private investigator in British Columbia, said he believes there would be much to gain from the reopening of cold cases involving aboriginal victims in every part of Canada.

Police in B.C. say that “back in the day,” they were not given the resources to adequately investigate the murders and disappearances of indigenous people, Mr. Michalko said. “If I am right, then there are going to be cases across the country where more could have been done or should have been done,” he said. “Maybe by reviewing these files, they may come up with something.”

Families of victims remain skeptical that the police are truly interested in finding out what happened to their loved ones – especially in those cases where much time has passed.

Tamara Chipman, the 22-year-old mother of a two-year-old boy, vanished 10 years ago this month while hitchhiking out of Prince Rupert, B.C., the northernmost tip of the what is known as the Highway of Tears. Her aunt, Gladys Radek, has spent the past decade raising awareness about the problem of the missing and murdered women.

In Ms. Chipman’s case, the police were not notified until a few weeks after she vanished. “It was pretty much a cold case for them and I think they pretty much gave up on her almost immediately,” Ms. Radek said.

If there was any interest on the part of cold-case investigators to take a new look at her disappearance, “we would love to see that happen,” she said. “But I doubt it will. There is a lot of racism with the police, a lot of stereotyping.”

Still, some First Nations leaders are optimistic that the amount of recent publicity given to the murders of aboriginal women could see cold cases reopened and crimes solved.

“The reality is that First Nations women were really second-class, third-class citizens and that’s why we’re dealing with these cases,” said Isadore Day, the Ontario regional chief for the Assembly of First Nations. But “the culture has changed. Social justice is real. There’s a lot more transparency and accountability on the part of the police agencies and I think willingness from folks like the Ontario Provincial Police.”

Once the OPP release their report, the cases it outlines could jog memories, he said. “We may see people step forward and talk about those cases that they wouldn’t have in the past.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/opp-to-issue-report-on-missing-and-murdered-aboriginal-men-women/article26324355/

Riot In Pikangikum First Nation, Leaves Police Barricaded In Office

Pikangikum First Nation

Pikangikum First Nation

200 people riot in Pikangikum; police vehicles and headquarters damaged

PIKANGIKUM FIRST NATION, Ont. – Three police vehicles and the remote reserve’s police building were damaged during a violent protest following an officer’s altercation with a community member.

About 200 members of Pikangikum First Nation demonstrated outside the community’s police headquarters on Saturday.

OPP Sgt. Peter Leon confirmed the incident began when a Pikangikum Police officer used a stun gun on an individual who was interfering with an investigation.

“Later that day a group of community members who were upset with the actions of this officer began what was a peaceful protest out front of the Pikangikum police service building,” he said.

“That process escalated with additional people coming to that location, with upwards of 200 people did congregate and the protest became violent.”

Officers were forced to barricade themselves inside the building.

OPP officers from the Red Lake detachment were called in to provide assistance and support. Pikangikum is about 100 kilometres north of Red Lake.

Leon said additional resources were called in, though he would not provide details about which units were deployed. He described the police response as “appropriate and measured.”

“We are very fortunate and happy members of the community intervened and were able to begin the de-escalation process as police also began arriving to assist,” Leon said.

An investigation is being conducted by the OPP, though the probe is still in the early stages. Nobody has been arrested or charged.

No injuries were reported as a result of the initial incident or the subsequent protest.

Altercations with police are nothing new in Pikangikum, where the community has twice evicted the entire contingent of their OPP detachments.

http://www.tbnewswatch.com/News/372767/200_people_riot_in_Pikangikum;_police_vehicles_and_headquarters_damaged