Court Order Threatens Muskrat Falls Protesters With Arrest

A police officer speaks to Innu leader Bart Jack, one of the people protesting at the Muskrat Falls gates. (Mark Quinn/CBC)

A police officer speaks to Innu leader Bart Jack, one of the people protesting at the Muskrat Falls gates. (Mark Quinn/CBC)

Nalcor says Supreme Court injunction issued Oct. 16 is being ignored

CBC News Posted: Oct 25, 2016

The Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador has ordered protesters occupying the Muskrat Falls site and blocking gates to the project to leave — or face arrest.

The court order, handed down Monday, names 22 specific individuals but includes “any other persons found unlawfully occupying the project site.”

Nalcor Energy and the Muskrat Falls Corporation appealed to the court after a group of protesters cut a lock on the gate at the Labrador hydroelectric project and occupied the site on Friday.

Since then, the company has sent hundreds of workers home and issued safety warnings. RCMP closed Route 510 for several hours Monday, also citing “public safety concerns.”

Protesters remained in the area on Tuesday. Some are still inside the project’s accommodations area, while others are staying in the designated protest zone across from the main project gate.

Faye Goudie, one of the 22 individuals named in the court injunction, told CBC News she’s willing to break an injunction again in order to stop the Muskrat Falls project from going ahead as planned.

Police have increased their presence at the main Muskrat Falls gate.

Roberta Benefiel added the protests won’t stop unless the provincial government orders the full clearing of the Muskrat Falls reservoir.

“I have a message for Dwight Ball and Perry Trimper. If you don’t clear this reservoir, you haven’t seen the light of day yet.”

“This is not going to stop. We are not going to stop. And the next process is to get rid of that island government.”

Escalating protests

In making its case to the court, Nalcor said the protest has escalated since an interim injunction was issued Oct. 16.

It argued that protesters are delaying or preventing work, which will cause “substantial interference with the completion of critical construction milestones such that the overall completion date of the project would be extended.”

The Supreme Court injunction says anyone refusing to leave the site can be arrested and charged with contempt and ordered to appear in court before Nov. 10.

Individuals named in the court order included Justin Brake, a writer for TheIndependent.ca.

There was no word of any arrests as of 4 p.m. NT on Tuesday.

Protesters remained near the Muskrat Falls site Tuesday. (Mark Quinn/CBC)

Protesters remained near the Muskrat Falls site Tuesday. (Mark Quinn/CBC)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/court-injunction-muskrat-falls-protesters-1.3820408

Advertisements