A memorial on Waterloo Crescent in Saskatoon for six-week-old Nikosis Jace Cantre, victim of a murder last week. A 16-year-old young offender has been charged with second-degree murder in the death, Tuesday, July 05, 2016.

Crown Seeking Adult Sentence If Teen Convicted In Saskatoon Infant’s Death

A memorial on Waterloo Crescent in Saskatoon for six-week-old Nikosis Jace Cantre, victim of a murder last week. A 16-year-old young offender has been charged with second-degree murder in the death, Tuesday, July 05, 2016.

A memorial on Waterloo Crescent in Saskatoon for six-week-old Nikosis Jace Cantre, victim of a murder last week. A 16-year-old young offender has been charged with second-degree murder in the death, Tuesday, July 05, 2016.

The Canadian Press, July 18, 2016

SASKATOON — The Crown says it will seek an adult sentence if a teenage girl accused in the death of a six-week-old Saskatoon infant is convicted.

Nikosis Jace Cantre was found injured at his home earlier this month and died in hospital.

A 16-year-old girl, who cannot be named because of her age, is charged with second-degree murder and escaping lawful custody.

The Crown made the request when the girl appeared in court where she was ordered to undergo a 30-day psychiatric assessment.

The maximum sentence for a youth convicted of second-degree murder is seven years in custody and supervision.

The boy’s maternal grandfather has said his daughter met the accused downtown, realized that she had nowhere to go and brought her home.

The teen was sentenced last December to 10 months in open custody for break and enter, arson, assault causing bodily harm, assault with a weapon and robbery with a weapon.

The teen is scheduled to appear in court again in August.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/07/18/crown-seeking-adult-sentence-if-teen-convicted-in-saskatoon-infants-death

Advertisements