Indigenous activists from Winnipeg had warned media that they planned to protest at the border with a blockade when the latest RCMP report was released.
Indigenous women continue to be most frequently killed by men they know, the RCMP said Friday as it released updated findings on missing and murdered indigenous women.
Another 32 Indigenous women have been murdered and 11 more have disappeared since the RCMP last reported on the issue.
Video: Group Blocks Motorists Who Refuse MMIW Flyer
In response activists set up a blockade and put a chokehold on the Trans-Canada Highway at the Ontario and Manitoba border. Then handed out 1,181 informational flyers ― the number of Indigenous women missing or murdered between 1980 and 2012 according to last year’s RCMP report.
They also informed the public of the violence taking place in their communities and the need for a national inquiry.
“First Nations do not appreciate the way the RCMP is handling this. Not at all. We have no respect for it at all,” said one organizer.
“We want a national inquiry. We want an inquiry into what’s happening in our communities, what’s happening not just with our women, but all of our community.”
Many have long been calling for an inquiry.
However, the Harper government has refused saying it would rather focus on preventing these cases in the first place.
The protest was predominantly peaceful, minus some racist comments fueling the passion of the protesters.
Each time a driver didn’t accept a flyer, the group rallied in front of the vehicle, then shut down both lanes of the highway for 10 to 15 minutes not allowing anyone through until the flyer was taken.
Both the OPP and RCMP were at the border to manage the slow stream of vehicles.
The OPP reported that the protesters stayed on the highway until they had handed out all of their flyers.
Members from the Urban Warrior Alliance in Winnipeg who organized the protest ended it at about 4 pm.